Friday, March 16, 2012

Made in the USA or not

Deliberate purchases of items "Made in the USA" is my goal. Shopping is time consuming these days.

Last year, I wrote an article entitled, "My China Pattern." This was an attempt to resolve myself to purchase local, American made, or as close to home (USA) as possible. With the economy in the USA having an extremely high unemployment rate, citizens loosing their jobs and homes, and social services stressed to bankruptcy, I was appalled at just how many items are "Made in China."

Feeling really angry about previous purchases in my home that were "Made in China," I vowed to break "My China Pattern." I have done this. A couple of things have slipped by me when I wasn't paying attention, but has been minor things like a coat hook for $2.50. But, all in all, I have done a wonderful job of being loud and obnoxious in public about my opinion.

My anger isn't directed at the Chinese people and lately, I have been feeling very guilty. I have nothing against the Chinese people. They are just like you and I. They have families who need food, medical care, housing, education, and clothing, etc. They go to work, and return home tired, just as we do here in the Good Ole' USA.

My anger is directed at the amount of debt the USA owes China. This is a political mess that has been made. Why has industry been sent out of the country?

This is a mess born of greed. Cheaper labor means cheaper prices. Everyone wants more, more, more for less, less, less.

Most recently, I have needed some new cookware for my new glass stove top. I wanted some yellow Paula Deen, but guess what? I passed. Yep, "Made In China." Good old Southern Belle, Paula, uses foreign workers and manufacturers. Okay, skip Paula. On to Wolfgang Puck. Uh, Oh, Yep, you got it - "Made in China."

I have spent several days looking for cookware in Sears, and Wal-Mart, and they ALL were "Made in China" except Better Homes and Gardens which was "Made in Brazil." So, I bought two sets of BH&G stainless steel cookware with glass lids! I love them.

Up next, I'm looking for a lighted makeup mirror. I used to have one years ago, and loved it. I don't remember the brand, but it had a dial so you could choose indoor, outdoor, or work lighting. I saw a few at Wal-Mart, but the Conair, and Revlon were, "Made in China." Guess I need to check out Sally's Beauty Supply. Any other suggestions? Wish me luck!

Disclaimer. (A few of you may jump in and start on me shopping at Wal-Mart. It is a rarity for me to do so. I don't like Wal-Mart, and am a very infrequent shopper. It's my last alternative.)

2 comments:

Michelle @ www.movinitwithmichelle.com said...

maybe look at Ulta too...

Camrobn said...

Ulta? Never heard of it. Is it a store? Online? Brand?